ZZ502/502 Base Kit- Build-it-yourself kit of GM Performance Parts’ 502" Rat!
Get this “beast in a box” and then finish it to your satisfaction! GM Performance Parts has put together the ZZ502 Base as a convenient partial engine assembly. You get the big-block V-8, four-bolt main muscle and just enough of the “finish work” to take the headache out of choosing parts—without missing out on the fun stuff!
The Base Engine, which boasts 4.47” bores and is stroked to 4.00”, comes with aluminum, oval port cylinder heads with generous 110 cc combustion chambers. Its big time valvetrain features 2.25” intake and 1.88” exhaust valves to keep it breathing easy! The crankshaft is forged steel and is paired up with a hydraulic roller camshaft for great performance. All you need to add is attitude – and an intake manifold, carburetor, water pump, distributor and plug wires. Everything but the attitude is available from your GM Performance Parts dealer.
- Any vehicle that needs big-time power
- Big-block bracket racing
- Powerplant for a big-displacement street rod
*Applications have not been validated. They are merely suggestions of how you might enjoy your GM Performance Parts crate engine. Some applications may affect engine warranty. See specific warranty information. Some applications may not be emission legal; check state and local ordinances.
|ZZ502/502 BASE ENGINE TECH SPECS:|
|Part Number: ||12496963|
|Engine type: ||Chevy big-block V-8|
|Displacement (cu in): ||502|
|Bore x stroke (in): ||4.47 x 4.00|
|Block (P/N 10237292): ||Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps|
|Crankshaft (P/N 10183723): ||Forged steel|
|Connecting rods (P/N 10198922): ||Forged steel, shot peened|
|Pistons (P/N 12533507): ||Forged aluminum|
|Camshaft type (P/N 12366543): ||Hydraulic roller|
|Camshaft lift (in): ||.527 intake / .544 exhaust|
|Camshaft duration (@.050 in): ||224'c1 intake / 234'c1 exhaust|
|Cylinder heads (P/N 12363390): ||Aluminum oval port; 110cc chambers|
|Valve size (in): ||2.25 intake / 1.88 exhaust; stainless steel|
|Compression ratio: ||9.6:1|
|Rocker arms (P/N 12368082): ||Stamped steel|
|Rocker arm ratio: ||1.7:1|
|Recommended fuel: ||92 octane|
|Ignition timing: ||8'c1 BTDC @ 800 rpm; 36'c1 total @ 5000 rpm|
|Maximum rpm: ||5800||
Part #: 12496963
- NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long blocks and partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur. GMPP distributor P/N 93440806 is recommended.
- Clutch linkage boss is cast into block, but must be drilled and tapped. When using cast iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance.
- Requires electric fuel pump because Gen VI block has no mechanical pump boss
- Comes with a 14" automatic transmission flexplate.
- Intended for pre-1977 street vehicles or all off-road vehicles.
- Not intended for marine applications.