502 HO - Maximum displacement with maximum value!
This is what all big-block crate engines should be: maximum power with a maximum return on your money invested. GM performance Parts started with the 454 Chevy crate engine that everyone loves and pumped it up to a 502 cubic inch powerhouse that delivers gobs of low-end torque and top-end horsepower.
Even though the 502 is a great value, don’t think for a minute that we skimped on parts or validation of those parts to the highest standard in the industry. The 502 HO bottom end consists of a cast iron four-bolt block, forged steel crankshaft, forged steel connecting rods that have been shot-peened for durability, and forged pistons. A high-lift roller camshaft controls the airflow through our legendary rectangular-port cast iron cylinder heads—more than enough air to fill those hungry 502 cubes! One other key engineering feature is that the final compression ratio comes in at 8.75:1, so that when outfitted with our 502 HO, your performance GM car will make tremendous power from just pump gas.
GM Performance Parts has completed this amazing crate engine with an aluminum dual-plane intake manifold, cast iron water pump, 6-quart oil pan (with windage tray), damper, and a 14" flexplate. Pick the carburetor, starter, and ignition system—all available from GM Performance Parts—and you are on your way to big-block bliss!
- A hot Chevy that deserves a stroked Rat
- Low 11-second bracket car
- Heavy metal hot rod that needs heavy metal power
*Applications have not been validated. They are merely suggestions of how you might enjoy your GM Performance Parts crate engine. Some applications may affect engine warranty. See specific warranty information. Some applications may not be emission legal; check state and local ordinances.
|502 HO TECH SPECS:
|Part Number: ||12568778|
|Engine type: ||Chevy big-block V-8|
|Displacement (cu in): ||502|
|Bore x stroke (in): ||4.47 x 4.00|
|Block (P/N 10237292): ||Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps|
|Crankshaft (P/N 10183723): ||Forged steel|
|Connecting rods (P/N 10198922): ||Forged steel, shot peened|
|Pistons (P/N 12533507): ||Forged aluminum|
|Camshaft type (P/N 24502611): ||Hydraulic roller|
|Camshaft lift (in): ||.510 intake / .540 exhaust|
|Camshaft duration (@.050 in):||211'c1 intake / 230'c1 exhaust|
|Cylinder heads (P/N 12562920): ||Iron rectangular port; 118cc chambers|
|Valve size (in): ||2.19 intake / 1.88 exhaust|
|Compression ratio: ||8.75:1|
|Rocker arms (P/N 12523976): ||Stamped steel|
|Rocker arm ratio: ||1.7:1|
|Water pump (P/N 12484890): ||Cast iron, long-style|
|Flexplate (P/N 10185034): ||14"|
|Recommended fuel: ||92 octane|
|Ignition timing: ||36'c1 total @ 3600 rpm, with vacuum advance disconnected|
|Maximum rpm: ||5500||
- NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long blocks and partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur. GMPP distributor P/N 93440806 is recommended.
- Requires addition of carburetor, fuel pump, starter, distributor and ignition system.
- Clutch linkage boss is cast into block, but must be drilled and tapped. When using cast iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance.
- Requires electric fuel pump because the Gen VI block has no mechanical fuel pump boss.
- Comes with a 14" automatic transmission flexplate; use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11" clutch assembly for manual transmission.
- Intended for pre-1977 street vehicles or all off-road vehicles.
- Not intended for marine applications.